God is the madwoman in the attic.
I'm camped out on the threshold with my journal, camera, and plenty of snacks.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

in another's words

I've been introducing Baby N to my favorite music. Today we're listening to a collection of songs from the Innocence Mission. The two songs below have been especially close to my heart for years. They've taken on renewed meaning recently. Lots of things are changing in my heart right now. Meaning comes on newly - slowly and suddenly at the same time as I recognize it in a moment. Was it there all along?

Do all new parents have this feeling of shifting & fresh significance? Of change within themselves. Even as change has overtaken daily life. And the world outside starts to look different too.

"Revolving Man"


ah, revolving man,

don't you ever get ahead?

all your days are spent

in catching up the rent

ah, revolve, revolve

don't you ever get a sunday

to read the paper and jump into leaves or water?


you're laughing...


of course I'm laughing

I'm happy

to revolve around my children

to revolve around my love


ah, revolving man

don't you ever want to cry?

all your nights are spent

in catching up your breath

and the children need

well, they're always needing something

growing out of clothes they grew into yesterday


you young ones don't believe

in nothing but freedom for yourselves

where are you getting ahead to?

it's I who am sorry for you


and "god is in his heaven

all's right with the world,"



"Every Hour Here"


we ride our bikes

around the circle in the cemetery, weaving

I wave up to you on the cross

am I to come upon you suddenly, like this, forever?

happy, relieved that you are here

and I can see you


you are like the ticket-half

I find inside the pocket of my old leaf-raking coat

there all the time, all the while forgotten.

I so often seem to leave you in churches

and other islands, and on my beads

where I can see you, I can feel you


I take the ticket-half and put it on the table, saying:

"this is god, and he's here

through my comings and my goings

but I walk past the ticket-half

I walk past the ticket-half

I walk past the ticket-half

just as I've walked past the cross on our wall,"


our self-importance grows so dazzling, we don't see you

but gentle jesus, aren't you always

aren't you every hour, here
?

from the Innocence Mission album "Umbrella"

No comments: