God is the madwoman in the attic.
I'm camped out on the threshold with my journal, camera, and plenty of snacks.

Friday, November 12, 2010

17 Days of ZING!

The 17 Days of Zing! is a bright-hearted spiritual challenge prompted by Goddess Leonie of GoddessGuidebook.com. We started on November 1 making today day 12 of the challenge. It's a commitment to practice a so hum meditation for 5, 10, or 20 minutes each day of the challenge. The meditation is simple ~ breathe in so exhale hum ~ and surprisingly effective for calming body and mind. (The so hum is said in your mind.)

cheering reminder

Simple, effective, and exactly the kind of thing I need... thus exactly the thing I'll avoid, forget, delay... until so many days have passed I quit. So I posted the image from challenge on my desktop where it's zinging its call to zen up at me 8 hours a day 5 days a week. The 5 hardest days. And it's working.

For months (all year?) I've been trying to establish a daily practice of silence or meditation. Instead, I've developed an addiction to hulu... or checking email & facebook & folding laundry & surfing headlines & catching up with Colbert & Stewart... an addiction to distraction. Why? What am I avoiding? How is it I have time for all the mental junkfood but I don't have 10 minutes to sit still & silent? It's actually good for me. The 17 Days of Zing! appeared as a doable commitment in good company. I took the challenge.

I started at 5 minutes and quickly moved on to 10. Yikes! The first 10 minute session I did was a plummet into cruddy stuff. Oh, this is why I don't do this. I'm, like, totally convinced that the world is a terrifying dangerous place and you should settle for less lest you draw attention to yourself and call down destruction upon yourself and your loved ones. (Long story short.) I don't know where all that crud came from but I do know that I've used it as my compass for too many decisions. I'm rousting it out. I'm choosing, planting, tending something new.

I went back to the 5 minute version for a couple days until I regained my balance. Then back up to 10. And it's good. Last night I actually experienced the my-body-is-made-of-jello depth of relaxation that some of the other women have reported. My mind isn't relaxing. I just keep bringing it back into the gentle syllables so hum. Other cranky worrying words rush in to any pause - which is teaching me to do the meditation in a steady gentle flow of one word sohumsohumsohum. Letting my mind drift on so hum, like a feather drifts through the air to the ground. (We're going to need another 17 days or so.)

1 comment:

Sylvie M said...

I didn't took the time to the 17days of Zen Dings. Something in me doesn't bare to stay quiet either. The past days I have been working on the tears and fears that show up when I stay without distraction and went through. Thank you for remembering me I could do a little soft meditation NOW.