As I mentioned in this morning's post, I'm doing a two-day fast this weekend. For this fast I'm allowed herbal tea, green tea, and broth. I confess I drank a couple cups of coffee, each with a splash of milk, as well. I'm addicted to coffee and simply am not prepared to withdraw from it at the same time as fasting. I can't imagine the day's coffee polluting my system to the extent of negating the fast.
Observations from today's fast:
- I'm hungry. I'm feeling it. I crave something solid to chew, swallow, and settle in my stomach.
- I crave boiled eggs with salt.
- This isn't some ideal fast - with massage and naps and quiet journaling. This is a fast a part of a family and still I'm taking time to journal. I'm able to be uncomfortable and still be part of our day.
- I'm having true hunger pangs.
- I am so tired.
- I measure time in hours to the next meal. As if I were always on the brink of starving. As if meals were the only events of significance and satisfaction in my days.
- I can't believe my next meal will be Monday morning. It feels so distant and alien.
- I want a sub. I want miso soup and sushi. I want a garlicky pizza. I want...!