God is the madwoman in the attic.
I'm camped out on the threshold with my journal, camera, and plenty of snacks.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

fasting, day 1 of 2


As I mentioned in this morning's post, I'm doing a two-day fast this weekend.  For this fast I'm allowed herbal tea, green tea, and broth.  I confess I drank a couple cups of coffee, each with a splash of milk, as well.  I'm addicted to coffee and simply am not prepared to withdraw from it at the same time as fasting.  I can't imagine the day's coffee polluting my system to the extent of negating the fast.  


Observations from today's fast:

  • I'm hungry.  I'm feeling it.  I crave something solid to chew, swallow, and settle in my stomach.  
  • I crave boiled eggs with salt.
  • This isn't some ideal fast - with massage and naps and quiet journaling.  This is a fast a part of a family and still I'm taking time to journal.  I'm able to be uncomfortable and still be part of our day.
  • I'm having true hunger pangs. 
  • I am so tired.
  • I measure time in hours to the next meal.  As if I were always on the brink of starving.  As if meals were the only events of significance and satisfaction in my days.
  • I can't believe my next meal will be Monday morning.  It feels so distant and alien.
  • I want a sub.  I want miso soup and sushi.  I want a garlicky pizza.  I want...!

1 comment:

Bright Side of Life said...

Stay strong.... you can do it. Not long to go! :)