God is the madwoman in the attic.
I'm camped out on the threshold with my journal, camera, and plenty of snacks.

Monday, September 27, 2010

serendipity

We had a really great meeting at N's new "school" this morning. We met with the Program Director, as well as N's Educator, Speech Therapist, and Occupational Therapist. This is the second time where we have had the good fortune of meeting with the program director rather than another employee, such as a nurse or our Family Services Coordinator.

The Program Director is both thorough in her work and personable with us. She's super-mega-competent. We so appreciate the time & attention she's given our family.

We discussed our concerns and corresponding goals for N's education and therapy. The team was very positive and open with us. They listened carefully to our ideas and anecdotes and were also able to suggest things that didn't immediately come to mind for us. Like, expanding N's use of consonants - yes! he needs that! - but I don't know if I would have been able to say it that way.

The Program Director was able to alleviate my anxiety about what happens when N ages out of this program. While she can't guarantee that he'll qualify for the public school system's program, it's highly likely that he will. There simply isn't enough time for him to get caught up on all the related areas that would dis-qualify him. So it's a mixed blessing and I can accept that.

So! N and L will start class on Wednesday! I'm nervous and excited, and a little tired from our big morning out. N did great today. He was content and played quietly at the table for the entire 1.5 hours of the meeting. Wow! Good work kiddo. And he said "bye" to each of the women as they left. Super sweet. I think they'll really enjoy working with him. (I do.)

1 comment:

Cheryl B said...

I cannot begin to say how touched I am at both your gratitude and your compliments. As Program Director, I see my work as a calling, a vocation - and I always try to do my best and give all that I have for the families I serve here at Boyer. Most families are absorbed in their own issues and concerns for their child, which is as it should be; but staff are not often thanked for our efforts. Your gratitude reminded me of the story of the 10 lepers who were healed by Jesus and only one returned to give thanks. L sent me the link to your blog on Friday 10/8 and imagine my surprise when that same story turned out to be the lectionary reading for the Sunday (10/10) after I had read your post. Thank you, Jenni, for your spirit of graciousness.